Thursday 9 July 2015

YaRone Artiste Spotlight- Khalilah Rose


                   
Photo Credit: Khalilah Rose Facebook.

Jamaican roots Reggae artiste Khalilah Rose is embarking on a musical journey and blazing a path to success with songs like "Weep Not" and many more powerful songs that touch on love, politics and other social issues. We had a few questions for this regal and beautiful singer songwriter and we are excited to share her answers with you in her own words in her own voice.

1.When were you introduced to music and who do you give credit for the introduction? 
Answer: I am not sure who introduced me to music. I am a part of a family that loves music. I am certain I was introduced in the womb. My father was instrumental as he was the first to put me in front of an audience to sing, when I was 3 or 4 years old. Singing "I'm going to sing for my lord" is one of my first childhood memories. I can also recall daddy selecting music.

2. How would you describe your self and your music style?  
Answer: I love to stand out in a crowd. I don’t appreciate being like anyone else. I embrace being unique, being that black sheep. I would describe myself as a very expressive and opinionated human being. I believe in fighting for equality, justice, truths and rights. I am an advocate for those of us who are constantly trampled on by the terrible powers that be. Presently, music is my weapon and the means to fight iniquity. The music I make is a reflection of this spirit within me. My musical style is empowerment. I am not afraid to take risks expressively.

3. When did you begin your journey into the music industry? OR When did you realize you wanted to have a career in music? 
Answer: I realized I wanted to have a career in music when I was about 6 or 7. I just loved to sing. I began my real journey into the music industry about 9 years ago and that's when I really decided to record and market the music on a next level.

4. Who are your biggest music influences? 
Answer: My greatest music influences are my team and my daughter. They all push me. They believe in the music. Anytime I tell my daughter that I want to leave the music industry she is at the verge of tears. As for my team, just seeing all the work they do and considering they are not getting an income for their effort, I am humbled.

5. What are your views in regards to the current state of the music industry in which you are apart?
Answer:  I personally believe that American and European capitalists have an agenda to cease roots reggae.  I believe they are intimidated by the power of roots reggae. It is a very militant and expressive body of work. There is so much power in roots reggae music, especially considering its global appeal.  They have refused entrance of many roots artistes to America and many European countries attempting to kill the market.  But roots reggae is music funded by Jah and dem no hav di powers fi eradicate roots reggae.

6. What artiste would you most love to work with and why?  
Answer: I would love to work with Burning Spear. Please tell him! I would love to work with him because his music is militant and his voice is one in a million. I would be honored to have the opportunity.

7. Where do you hope to see your music career in near and distant future? 
Answer: I would love for the music to continue to spread to the four corners of the Earth. I see us visiting more countries and touching more souls. I would like to make two more albums before I move to the next stage in my life.

8. Please tell us about your body of work? Have you collaborated with any note worthy artiste or have any performance experience on a large or small scale. 
Answer: I’ve collaborated with Turbulence and Lutan Fyah for my debut album Zion’s Lullaby. I’ve shared stages with Marcia Griffiths,Freddie Mcgregor, Etana, Kymani Marley, Turbulence, John Holt, Queen Ifrica, Josey Wales, Admiral Tibet, Anthony B, Everton Blender, Capelton, Frankie Paul, General Trees, Cutty Ranks, Lady Saw, Sanchez, Luciano, Gyptian, Sister Carol, and others... I’ve done solo shows in Jamaica, Aruba, New York and Amsterdam and I give Jah thanks for the success.

9. What projects can readers and your fans look out for?
Answer: I am currently working on a project with producer Calibud. He is a heartical individual with a great repertoire. Our first single to be released is called, “Journey.”  We are looking to release our first single, July 2015. I still can’t believe that we have known each other for so long and are just really producing work together. This has been in the making. I appreci- luv working with Calibud. He understands me and never tries to stifle my creativity.

10. How can interested event promoters book you for their next event?
Answer: Contact management at Khalilahscope@gmail.com or Jayloaknauth@gmail.com or
Call 876-405-2949 Trevieno Cole

For more information on Khalilah Rose and her music you may follow the links provided below.

No comments:

Post a Comment