Monday 27 July 2015

Digicel Rising Stars- Top 8 Review.


Photo credit: Twitter: @televisionjam

Terri Karrelle stepped out in a gorgeous pink skater or what I call doll dress to announce the voters who won prizes and also to bring the news of the two contestants from the prior weeks top ten who had been eliminated. Chosen and the duo Universe and Almando were sent home. I can't say that I'm surprised even though I thought Chosen had their school votes. Oh well doubt any of them will be brought back as wild cards.

The wild card battle was brought back this year I was one of the majority who believed that was an excellent addition to the competition last year.  Abigail and Marsha-Kay were set to battle it out to be Conroy's Wild card. Hands down from the first note I gave the win to Marsha Kay who was the better singer and held her composure through out the song and Conroy thought so too and named her the winner of the face off and thus his wild card.

The top eight were now ready to take the stage and Samantha Bogle was the opener. First let me say I hated I her outfit the shoes especially. She sang Jasmin Sullivan's "I Bust The Windows Out Your Car". If you know that song any at all then you'd know she needed to sing with passion and be able to do the runs as well. She also needed to bring a lot of  dynamics. Though Samantha has strong voice she didn't manage to bring a lot to the song. I didn't get why she needed that piece of steal as prop either. The judges all agreed this week wasn't her best performance. I still believe though she is one of the top contenders. Jay Keda was the second performer. Her song choice was "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry. I thought it was an ok performance nothing really to rave about with her performance. Ashanie Reid was next and she chose "Only Girl In The World" by Rihanna. Now I remember when Tash did that song she gave pure energy and performed throughout the song. Ashanie needed to bring a similar energy she is a good singer but like #AnthonyMiller I think she lacked personality and I also agree with Alaine that her outfit (that  dress with those sneakers) was not cute at all. She didn't impress me with her laid back rendition of the song.

The fourth contestant was the rockitive duo Vanity Club and they  performed "Shut Up and Dance With Me" by Walk The Moon. I secretly want this group to come out on top, simply because Jamaicans need to be more open to listening their own entertainers who want to do more than just dancehall and reggae. Vanity Club singing was way ahead of the track in some parts but their harmonies made the song sound great. I enjoyed their song choice and their rendition of it. Marsha K, Conroys Wild Card, took on Miss Tessane Chin's song  "Tumbling Down" and she was fabulous. She had a Great tone and she neva go Karaoke with the song she actually brought her own sound to it. I absolutely appreciated that. Marsha maybe a wild card but with her vocals and composure on stage she could be in the running for the first palce.  The Biology teacher Jody Kay James was the sixth contestant to take stage and she decided to take on Queen Beys "Best Thing I Never Had". Let's me keep it real she sang well from the first note to the last. But hers wasn't the stand out performance for the night even though I have her as a favorite.

Roshelle Harris the seventh contestant to perform  sang Arianna Grande's chart topping hit "Break Free" I liked the beginning maybe because I like that song but then she messed and I started listening out for more mistakes. I appreciated how she caught herself like a professional would. She has great vocals though but like the judges seh she needed more energy for that song and her look for the night made her seem way older than seventeen. Roxy J took the stage next and like Conroy I don't know what to say about her performance. Roxy J I understand that you a Christian and you want to stick to only Gospel songs but you could have selected a better song. I don't even know where she found that Destiny's Child gospel song. There are numerous songs that I would called "Pop Gospel" for this challenge she could have done #MaryMary "God In Me" or do a Kirk Franklin, Israel Haughton or even a Tye Tribbet song. Maybe the Christians will vote her back or her church will pick up an offering for her but after this week's song choice I think Roxy will be going home.

Dare I say the best was left for last. Anna Mariah stepped out like cat woman in a black jump suit and performed the hell outa Sia's "Chandelier" before she started I tweeted a small prayer- "Please let Anna Mariah hit the high notes." because not every singer can hit the high notes in the chorus of that song. Anna did not only hit the notes on point she also brought her own vocal styling and ad lips to the song. Conroy and Alaine found Anna's performance near perfect commenting only on her not reaching out more to the audience. Anthony on the other hand thought the performance placed her in third. Honestly don't know what Anthony talking about Anna Mariah sang well and looked good doing it she was the best performer for the night.

The night had some hits and just three misses in my opinion. But overall I enjoyed the show. Next week is all about Alaine's wild card face off. Can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment