Sunday 20 September 2015

#DRS12 Top Two Review.

Digicel Rising Stars final performance show was the show down that I guess every one expected. Anna Mariah walked away with a not too shabby four hundred thousand dollars third place cheque and Marsha K and the "Teach" Jody Kay James were left to battle it out for the top spot. Shaggy was the nights guest judge and Ding Dong was the "Belleh" guest in the Huawei chill room. So each contestant had a chance to wow us three times and below I give you the play by play.

Marsha started off with a Fantasia cover of "You are Always On My Mind" which was a nice acoustic set, stripped back and sweet. I keep telling people that she has the better vocal technique in the competition based on the riffs, runs and licks she can do and this song was proof of that. I feel like if she was on a Competition like #NBCTheVoice the judges and audience would have had a better appreciation for her performance . Marsha K's second song was supposed to be the song that gave her the most votes in the competition. "Encourage Yourself" the song she did during Gospel week was her choice.  I didn't think that was the song that gave her the most votes though. That title I'd give to "Grown Woman" by Beyonce. When she did that song is when I think Jamaicans realised she had the full package: the voice, the looks and dancing ability..........Back to the song she picked. There were some "struggly" moments. I felt her pushing through whatever vocal difficulty she was facing and the frustration she was feeling. The performance was ok but was amazing the first time around and the judges basically said the same thing. ‎For her final song Marsha K decided to go with he Billboard hit from Miss  #GraceJones "Pull Up To Mi Bumper". Personally I wasn't happy with that song choice.  But I'll put my personal views aside though to say that she performed the hell out of that song. She was sexy not raunchy; did just enough vocally and then wowed us by showing she can DJ just as well as she sings.

Now for Jody Kay. She's Not my favorite but she did well she held her own against the technique that Marsha has.‎
Jody Kay' s first song was the Jenifer Hudson cover of I'm feeling good by Nina Simone. It was a great song choice. She did well with it I however began to feel her energy come through close to the end and that's when I got into her performance. Her  second song was "All I Could Do Was Cry" by Etta James. It was the song she wowed us all with during the first live show but  I don't know if that was the song that gave her the most votes.  Her performance again was good she excersised vocal control and all the judges agreed it was a good second performance. Jody's  final song was Whitney Houston's "I Get So Emotional" she failed to do what Marsha did for her final song. She didn't perform the hell out it. She tried but as Shaggy said she didn't look comfortable and it did show. There were great moments though and for that I give her props. All the judges agreed that they'd give the third round to Marsha but becuase Jody is a good singer I doubt voters will hold that performance against her.

The Round Up.
The judges said that Jody K is in the lead. But I am not so sure about that. I think it's evenly tied. It wasn't the knockout showdown that I expected to get from these two. I'll say again she isn't my favorite but I feel that Jody K will win #DRS12 because thousands of Teachers in Jamaica are voting for her and the students from STATHS too. At the end of the day the votes is what decides who wins. I see Marsha and Anna going further in the music industry than Jody however becuase they are all round performers. Anna is the creative Edna Manley student an Marsha is the girl with th technique. And both are more versatile than Jody is. I'd like to see Marsha enter the VOICE she has the vocal ability to go far in that competition. Let's see what happens next week when the winner is announced. ‎


No comments:

Post a Comment